Despite the reluctance of some couples to find out the gender, the comments from friends, co-workers, and relatives about the “possible gender” could not really be avoided. Older and more experienced relatives would usually offer their “guesses” on baby gender prediction based on what their “great granny said”. Here are some of those “signs”:
- North or South: When you’re carrying low, it must be a boy. If you are carrying high, then it’s a girl.
- The Heart Tells: Legend says the heart rate has a lot to say: if it’s 140+ beats per minute, it is a girl. And if it is the less than 140 beats, then it means you’ve got a boy.
- Food cravings: if you find yourself craving sweets, it’s a sign that you are carrying a girl. But if you prefer the salty and sour foods, it indicates that it could be a boy. How about eating ice-cream and pickles?
- Zits and Beauty: Got the zits? Do you feel like you are less pretty than your usual self? They say that is an indication that you are having a girl.
- Morning Sickness: If you feel sick as dog, specially during that first trimester, there is a more likely chance that you are pregnant with a girl.
- Chinese Birth Calendar: The baby’s gender is determined by age at the month of conception. There are mothers who claim to the accuracy of this calendar, at least for their pregnancies. There are others who say that it only applies for those whose menstrual cycle runs in clockwork perfection. Try it here!
- Pee and Drano, Really?! : This might sound ridiculous but, it won’t hurt to find out if it works for you. Pee in a small cup, add 1 tablespoon of Drano. If the pee turns green, it’s a girl. If it turns blue, then its a boy.
Do you know of any other “Great Granny Guesses”?
Did any of these 7 “signs” work for any of your pregnancies?
by: Donna Costa, UC Baby